Thursday, August 21, 2014

Physical Attractiveness at work



When running a business, you want people that will attract customer to you business, right? I feel each field of work has that “ideal look” they want most or all of their employees to look like. Each person has controllable and uncontrollable factors when talking about their physical attractiveness. Personal hygiene should not be questioned at all when looking for employees to work under you, right? Wrong! Some medical conditions can cause a person to have bad personal hygiene, and that’s something one cannot completely control. For example, a person with Trimethylaminuria cannot control their body not being able to break down a chemical compound called trimethylamine. “Trimethylamine is what gives fish its fishy smell, and when it builds up in the body it's released in the breath, urine and sweat, giving a person with trimethylaminuria a similarly fishy smell”, according to the Genetics Home Reference at the National Institutes of Health. I can relate to having something wrong with my body that I cannot control. I had scars all over my arms and legs due to really bad eczema for about 3 years. I was uncomfortable for a long time wearing shorts and short sleeves. I was always paranoid. I hated appearance. Although I have having all these issues with myself, my boss and everyone else did not judge me. I’d have customers and co-worker ask what happened and after I told them, it was nothing. For the most part, my physical appearance was accepted before people even asked me about it, and that was mainly because of my personality. That taught me to never judge people due to their physical attractiveness. Next, we have tattoos. Tattoos are a decision that you have full control over. I have no problem with tattoos and many people in my generations don’t seem to mind either. Yet, we do have other that may question a person in a certain field that’s covered with tattoos. Would you trust a surgeon with a full sleeve of tattoos? Personally, I would.  He earned his degree just any other doctor, and he has his degree for a reason. If I felt safe with him before knowing he had the tattoo, because of his work and his character, I would not allow his physical appearance alter my thought of him. 
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/12/26/surprising-body-odor-causes_n_4475756.html 

No comments:

Post a Comment